Naturalisation 5 Years – not married to or the civil partner of a British Citizen

A guide for those who are not married to a British Citizen and who wish to apply for British Citizenship

Download as PDF


  • You are aged 18 or over when you apply
  • Are of sound mind and understand the step that you are taking
  • Intend to continue to live in the UK, or to continue in Crown service, the service of an international organisation of which the UK is a member, or the service of a company or association established in the UK
  • Can communicate in English (Welsh or Scottish Gaelic) to an acceptable degree, unless exempt
  • Have sufficient knowledge about life in the UK
  • Be of good character
  • Have held Indefinite Leave to Remain for 12 months
  • Have lived in the UK for at least 5 years
  • You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.
  • You must not have spent more than 90 days out of the UK in the past 12 months; or 450 days outside the UK in the past 5 years


  • Passport for applicant
  • Biometric Residence Permit for Applicant / permanent residence certificate / ILR through settlement scheme
  • Marriage certificate
  • Applicants National Identity Card (if applicable)
  • Grant of Indefinite Leave to Remain
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Correspondence covering the past 5 years
  • English Language B1 certificate or A degree certificate taught in the UK
  • Life in the UK Pass certificate or confirmation
  • Supporting letters from friends and family
  • signed referee pages with passport photos
  • If employed, P60s for the past 5 years
  • If self employed – Most recent self-assessment and account statement

Related Guides & Advice

View all
Accredited by the Law Society Contracted with the Legal Aid Agency Accredited by OISC