Naturalisation 3 Years – married to or the civil partner of a British Citizen

A guide for those who wish to apply to become a British Citizen and are married to a British Citizen.

Download as PDF


  • Be aged 18 or over when you apply
  • Be married or in a civil partnership with a British Citizen at the time of the application
  • Be of sound mind and understand the step you are taking
  • Can communicate in English (Welsh or Scottish Gaelic) to an acceptable degree, unless exempt
  • Have sufficient knowledge about life in the UK
  • Be of good character
  • Have lived in the UK for at least 3 years and have indefinite leave to remain at the time of application
  • You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 3 years before the application is received by the Home Office. You must also have indefinite leave to remain at the time you apply. 
  • You must not have been outside the UK for longer that 90 days in the past 12 months; or 270 days in the past 3 years


  • Passport for applicant
  • Passport for spouse (and naturalisation certificate if applicable)
  • National Identity card for applicant (if applicable)
  • Biometric Residence Permit for applicant / Permanent Residence certificate / ILR through settlement scheme
  • Grant of Indefinite Leave to Remain
  • Marriage certificate
  • Evidence you have lived together for the past 3 years
  • English Language B1 certificate or A degree certificate taught in the UK
  • Life in the UK pass certificate or confirmation
  • Supporting letters from family and friends
  • Signed referee pages with passport photos
  • If employed, P60s for the past 3 years
  • If self-employed – Most recent self-assessment and
    account statement

Related Guides & Advice

View all
Accredited by the Law Society Contracted with the Legal Aid Agency Accredited by OISC