Immigration Advice Centre Ltd

Specialists in Immigration and Asylum Law

01642 219222

Immigration Advice Centre Ltd
Specialists in Immigration and Asylum Law

Dependent Relative Visa

We offer expert professional immigration advice on all your UK Immigration and Asylum matters.

Get Advice From An Expert Now

Dependent Relative Visa

Whether you are seeking to bring a your dependent child to the UK or an elderly parent, Immigration Advice Centre can help you with the application.

Dependent relative visas are one of the most costly and complex applications that you can make and so it is vital that you get expert advice and assistance with the application, particularly as the consequences of a refusal are that you will face further separation from your loved one.

If you are proposing to bring a minor child (a child under the age of 18) to the UK you cannot normally do so unless both parents are in present and settled  in the UK or have been given permission to settle here. There are exceptions to this if you can show that: 

  • 1 parent is dead and the other is settled or coming to settle here; or

  • the parent who is settled or coming to settle in the UK has had sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing; or

  • 1 parent is settled or coming to settle in the UK and there there are serious reasons why the child must be allowed to come here.

The issue of sole responsibility is a complex one and is frequently the reason that dependent child visas are refused. It is not sufficient for the parent in the UK to simply indicate that they send their child money and contact them. The Entry Clearance Officer or the Immigration Judge, if your case goes to appeal, will expect to see that you make all the important decisions in your childs life and that you retain parental responsibility for your child even if your child is being cared for on a daily basis by someone else. This is something that you will need to evidence carefully in your application. Failure to do so will inevitably lead to a refusal.

Bringing an elderly parent to the UK

As well as children under 18, the following relatives can apply to join a settled person in the UK:

  • aged 18 or over; and

  • a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a British citizen or person settled in the UK.

Since the 9th July 2012 it is no longer possible for a dependant relative to apply to switch into this category from within the UK.

You must provide evidence that:

  • You need long-term personal care to perform every day tasks, such as washing and cooking.

  • The care you need is not available in the country where you are living, either because it is not available and there is no person in the country where you are living who can reasonably provide it or it is not affordable.

  • Your sponsor can show that he or she is able to provide adequate maintenance, accommodation and care for you without having to rely on public funds. Your sponsor will need to sign a sponsorship undertaking form to confirm that they will be responsible for your care without relying on public funds for a period of at least 5 years.

If you require advice or assistance with any of the above applications call us on 01642 219222 or visit our email advice page.

Get In Touch

Phone Number

+44 (0) 1642 219222

Office Location

Immigration Advice Centre Ltd
Newham House
1st Floor, Rear Suite
96-98 Borough Road

Regulated by the Officer of the Immigration Service Commissioner F201100378

Accredited with The Law Society Immigration and Asylum Accreditation Scheme