Immigration Advice Centre Ltd

Specialists in Immigration and Asylum Law

01642 219222

Immigration Advice Centre Ltd
Specialists in Immigration and Asylum Law

Fiancé Visa

We offer expert professional immigration advice on all your UK Immigration and Asylum matters.

Get Advice From An Expert Now

UK Fiancé Visa / Proposed Civil Partner 

If you are in a relationship with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK you can apply for entry clearance to come to the UK to marry and then to settle here once you are married. The UK Fiancé Visa is different from the Marriage Visit Visa as it allows you to apply to extend your stay in the UK once you have married to allow you to settle here.

The requirements that have to be met for a UK Fiancé Visa are:

  • you are both at least 18 years old on the date when you would arrive in the UK or when you would be given permission to remain in the UK;

  • you both intend to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually 6 months);

  • you both intend to live together permanently as husband and wife or civil partners after you are married or have registered your civil partnership;

  • you have met each other;

  • you meet the English language requirement, unless you can show that you qualify for an exemption;

  • until you are married or have registered a civil partnership, there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live without help from public funds;

  • there will, when you are married or in your civil partnership, be adequate accommodation where you and any dependants can live exclusively and without help from public funds; and

  • you and any dependants can be supported without working or needing public funds, before you apply to extend your stay as the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen or settled person.

  • You  can meet the financial requirement, which means your sponsor  has an income of at least £18,600 per year and can      provide the required supporting evidence .

A UK Fiancé Visa is granted for six months and you should intend to marry within that time. Once you have married you will then need to apply to the UKBA for an extension of stay as a spouse before the expiry of your UK Fiancé Visa.

You should not apply for a UK Fiancé Visa if you are getting married in the UK but do not intend to stay here for more than 6 months; if you are in a relationship with a British Citizen or a settled person but you do not intend to get married (see unmarried partner page); if you are an EEA national; or if you have no conditions attached to the time you can stay in the UK.  

The cost of the UK Fiancé Visa application can be found on the UK Government website and you must apply for the visa before entering the UK even if you are a non-visa national. You cannot apply for a UK Fiancé Visa from within the UK. If your visa application is refused your fee will not be refunded so you need to make sure that you can meet the requirements of the rules before you apply.

Even if you meet all the requirements above you may still be refused entry to the UK under other parts of the UK Immigration Rules called “General Requirements”. These will apply if you have an adverse immigration history, you have used false documents or lied on your application or you have failed to declare information in your application.

You can appeal against the refusal of a UK Fiancé Visa to the Immigration and Asylum ChamberIf you require further assistance with a UK Fiancé Visa application or appeal please contact us on 44 (0)1642 219222 or email us at There may be a charge for advice provided by email or telephone. Please see our email/telephone advice page for more details  

Get In Touch

Phone Number

+44 (0) 1642 219222

Office Location

Immigration Advice Centre Ltd
Newham House
1st Floor, Rear Suite
96-98 Borough Road

Regulated by the Officer of the Immigration Service Commissioner F201100378

Accredited with The Law Society Immigration and Asylum Accreditation Scheme